The quest for cleanliness is big business. The average consumer can spend more in a month on household cleaning supplies than they spend on cable TV, mobile phones, personal care or even their beloved pets, trying to eliminate bacteria and fungi from their environments.
Moisture-retaining products, such as sponges, bath mats and shower curtains, exposed to
humid environments like bathrooms and locker rooms, provide excellent breeding grounds for mould, mildew, and bacteria. These microorganisms, left uncontrolled, may lead to odour and damage to products and surfaces.
Disinfectant chemicals are an important way to keep our homes and public spaces clean, but they don’t provide continuous control of microorganisms. For example, hospital-approved disinfectants quickly reduce bacteria counts, but within 120 minutes of drying, bacteria will rebound above the established safe level of 250 CFU/100cm2, and disinfection must reoccur in order to keep the bacterial count down.
Also, disinfectants can contain harsh chemicals, including bleach and peroxide, which may cause respiratory irritation, be harmful if swallowed, injure bare skin, and damage or discolour the objects they’re trying to treat. Clearly, relying solely on disinfectant chemicals to continually control microorganisms is virtually impossible.
Solution: Microban ZPTech
A better solution is to incorporate antimicrobial technology, including Microban ZPTech, based on zinc pyrithione into products during the manufacturing process. Unlike other antimicrobials (such as silver, which is highly effective against bacteria), Zinc pyrithione is a wide spectrum antimicrobial, effective against not just bacteria but also the growth of fungi including mould, mildew and algae.
Zinc pyrithione was first developed in the 1930s for its antifungal and antibacterial properties, and it is still commonly used today as a main ingredient in anti-dandruff shampoos, and as an over-the- counter treatment for seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, athletes’ foot, ringworm and other medical conditions. Zinc pyrithione is also used in paints, textiles and polymers products to inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi on susceptible surfaces.
ZPTech from Microban offers a low solubility (8 ppm) making it a very durable antimicrobial. Durability testing shows that polymers soaked for 2000 hours at 70°C in a detergent bath containing 3000 ppm ZPTech remained 99.99% effective in preventing the growth of Klebsiella pneumoniae, a gram-negative bacterium associated with hospital-acquired infections.
Its thermal stability – up to 235°C – makes it suitable for use in a variety of manufacturing applications and commodity thermoplastic polymer materials. Microban ZPTech is not designed to replace a disinfectant, but rather complement and extend the effectiveness of standard chemical disinfecting routines. This adds another level of defence in the fight against bacteria, mould, and mildew.
With Microban ZPTech the technology is constantly active on the surface and ready to be released. It’s dispersed throughout the polymers during the manufacturing process, so ZPTech remains effective even if an object is nicked, scratched or abraded in use.
How ZPTech is Implemented
Microban works individually with polymer converters to make ZPTech integration as simple and seamless as possible without disruption to existing manufacturing processes. Our engineers develop customized formulations of ZPTech for each product. The formulations are tested with manufacturers’ own polymers both for antimicrobial effectiveness and to ensure that ZPTech will not degrade the aesthetics or function of the product, including those likely to be exposed frequently to UV light, which may yellow zinc-containing products. Safety is always our primary concern, and we use our expertise to ensure that ZPTech is safe and non-toxic throughout the supply chain, from transport to manufacture to end users. By providing ZPTech to manufacturers in encapsulated form, thermoplastic masterbatches or liquid dispersions, and training manufacturing staff on its proper use, Microban makes it very safe and easy to produce ZPTech polymer products.
Microban International is the global leader for built-in antimicrobial protection – with 46% brand awareness, more than twice all other antimicrobial companies polled.
- Microban’s full range of services offers distinct advantages over competitors for polymer manufacturers.
- RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT – Engineers in our state-of- the-art research facility will work with you to understand your product and develop safe, effective, and durable solutions to enhance your product.
- SAFETY – You can be confident that Microban-labeled antimicrobials are safe to use as directed. We will train your manufacturing staff on the proper use of ZPTech to ensure that they, and the people who use your products, are at no risk from zinc in ZPTech.
- ANALYTICS – Our cutting-edge analytics ensures that ZPTech works continually to inhibit the growth of fungi and bacteria across your product’s expected lifespan.
- QUALITY CONTROL – Scientists at Microban company headquarters and staff in local offices in South America, Asia, Europe and North America partner with your manufacturing team to deliver training and other resources targeted to ensure the highest quality.
- MARKETING AND COMPLIANCE – Microban support extends well beyond manufacturing to help you leverage the Microban name. We’ll consult with you to ensure that your marketing materials comply with all local regulations and effectively communicate the benefits of Microban antimicrobial coverage to your customers.
From durability requirements to marketing support and patent counsel, Microban supplies partners with thorough and advanced services to help seamlessly deploy new antimicrobial products. Microban provides you with turnkey support including technical development, regulatory assistance, patent counsel, training, technical and marketing support to get your product to market quickly and effectively. More than 250 smart companies are leveraging the Microban brand as an important differentiator to help grow their businesses. For more information about Microban, including case studies, testimonials, learnings and best practices, and how your business can become part of our success story, contact us today.