BERLIN’S ROMANTIC SOUTHWEST

In the early 19th century, Berlin became a home to the romantic architecture movement. The southwest district of Zehlendorf in particular turned into Berlin most romantic corner with a string of castles and gardens inspired by Rome and Ancient Egypt.
On Lake Wannsee, for example, Peacock Island’s white fairy-tale castle and surrounding gardens are straight out of a fantasy tale. In 1794, Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm II commissioned carpenter Johann Gottlieb Brendel to build a “little summer palace” for his mistress, Countess Wilhelmine von Lichtenau, who also provided the interior design. Nearby, a farm was built in the style of a gothic monastery, while between 1820 and 1830 an aviary as well as a Palm Tree Conservatory were added. Gardens were later redesigned in the romantic style by gardener Peter Joseph Lenné.